My goal for this piece was texture. Below are some close-up shots so you can be the judge.
I saw a tutorial this week on building a textured surface with tissue, as in Ch*rmin. I used sturdy watercolor paper for the 8x10 base, covered in with gel medium and smooshed in torn bits of tissue. Next I sprinkled in glitter here and there--not for sparkle, but for different texture. Finally, I made spirals from medium-soaked twine. When this was all dry, I started adding color--beginning with dark purple, blue, and green--working up to copper, gold, then lavender and light blue for highlights. Between layers of color I added some stamping, stenciling through sequin waste, and cutting in some turquoise with a credit card. The number inchies were first mounted on cardstock for stability and then on bits of foam to raise them off the surface.