1/30/10

"It is what it is"


I am often curious how certain pieces of other people's art comes to be.

Sometimes I start with a particular image and build around it.

Or I might begin working on a background and see what develops.

I have been known to start with what is laying loose on my art table.



That is how this piece came to be.
 Only instead of loose bits on the table,
 I used some odds and ends in my Photoshop bin.




The background was chosen at random to use while messing around with the cookie cutter tool.
When I popped it into a new canvas, the image was enlarged.  I liked it.

The coral orchid in the bin caught my eye.
 I wondered how it would look against the rich red background.
I popped it into the canvas.  I liked it.

There needed to be something more....another vivid color.
It took only a quick look into my objects image folder to settle on the teal marble.
I was only looking for vibrant color and this fit the bill.
 Into the canvas it went.  I liked it.

Next I added some light and dark detail.  I liked it.

Depth was what was missing,
so I embedded a couple of deeper layers.  I liked it.

What to call it?   Hmmm.  What else?
I named it "Digital Collage".
I love it!




3 comments:

Cindy said...

"It is what it is" reminds me of another phrase I use quite often "Go for what you know." Those are my two favorite phrases. Some of my junior co-workers often complain to me that they need training to do something. That is when I tell them to train themselves like I did or "go for what you know". You said you wonder how othe people start pieces. Usually I start with a thought in my mind that has been laying heavy, then, I search for articles to depict it. That teal marble looks just like the bottom to one of my wind chimes.

Marilyn Rock said...

Gorgeous!

Linda Jacobs said...

The more digital art I see, the more I want to experiment. One of these days...

I love what you did with it. The colors complement each other so well!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...